4 pieces of standard pine (2 x pieces cut to 500mm; 2 pieces cut to 300mm) with straight cuts
1 piece of standard pine cut at 300mm with 45 degree angle cuts (sash piece)
2 pieces of chicken wire (300mm x 300mm)
Paint / paintbrush (optional)
Staple gun / staples
Garden / landscape fabric
Cactus Potting Soil (see below for mixing your own)
Various Succulent Plants
Steel hooks with brackets for hanging
Protective ear muffs and safety glasses
- Start by building the frame. Put the four sides of the frame together to make sure they fit. Slot in the sash piece diagonally inside the frame.
- Pre-drill the holes using a drill and a drill bit. Secure the frame stays with a screwdriver and put at least two large screws in each side. You may also want to reinforce the joints with brackets.
- Once your frame is assembled, give it a coat of matte black paint or varnish. Allow to dry according to tin instructions.
- Carefully place chicken wire along the top of the shelf. Wearing protective glasses, staple the wire in place and cut off any excess.
- Push the weed matting fabric into the triangle created. Fill with potting mix then cover mix with excess fabric and neatly fold into place.
- Cover the front of the frame with more chicken wire. Wearing protective glasses, staple the wire in place and cut off any excess.
- To create planter holes for your succulents, snip small circles into the chicken wire.
- Pierce the weed matting with a stanley knife. Carefully plant succulents into the designated holes.